Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Teaching Practicum... Journal 1


Teaching is such a challenge for teachers every day. However, these experiences help us to enrich our knowledge and in this way improve our language, techniques, methods, etc. During my first week of teaching practicum I lived new experiences that I never imagined. One of these experiences for example was the fact of teaching Technical English. I had no idea about who my new tutor teacher was going to be neither my group of students, but the truth is that I was surprised to know that I was going to teach only girls!! This was new for me because I had never taught to girls only, but my first experience with them was great. The tutor teacher is a great person, too. I know that the class was not perfect, but there were many things that went well during my first week at Technical English. Some things that went well on my first week were for example:

 The warm up activity. The students enjoyed the warm up activity at the same time that they were practicing what they had learned the previous class.

 The activities went well too because all the students involved in every single activity. This is kind of difficult, but thank God the girls participated in the activities.

 Time was smething that went well during the first class. This is something that I have tried to improve during my previous clases because it is important to keep track of time in the class.


As a human I made mistakes too. Because of a confusion, I only mentioned the objective. Next time I will have to show the objective to the teacher. Something that I have to consider next time is to keep eye contact with all my students eventhough the classroom be narrow. I can mention some other mistakes I made, but I will share them next time. Being an excellent teacher is a challenge. Isn’t it?

6 comments:

  1. New experiences every day,make our job a great challenge and a new lesson in the school of our lives. That´s the best thing, we learn and re-learn anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm as i can see you had a very interesting experience. Remember that all students are important in the classroom, as you said eye contact is very important because students feel better when they realize that the teacher can see them. In other words, students fell better because they know they exist for the teacher.

    Nice Elizabeth. It was awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice experience Elizabeth! Don't forget that you can do whatever you want to only if you try to give the best of you.Try to create a good environment in the classroom. motivate the students learning. You'll face some challeges, but I know you will overcome them. Continue working hard and at the end you'll se good results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that those things that did not go as well as I know they can go when you're teaching are just little details that can easily be fixed. I think that you're a great teacher and that you are doing good. Continue to work as you always do and you wil succeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello teacher Eli!!

    I am surprised that you are teaching just girls!! I think that these teaching practices are helping us a lot because we are dealing with different students in your case, all the students are girls!! I think that you are facing a big challenge because those girls are not studyng our major!!

    You mentioned in your post that you did a mistake. Remember that humans make mistakes as you said. Once, I forgot to write my objective on the board. I was so angry with myself because I had the objective, but I forgot to write it.

    You know that I really admire you because as I have told you, you are a very hard-working person and I am sure that you will face all the challenges and that you will do your best!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dear friend...I know you`re doing a great job there. I also know that you`re enjoying this time. It was kind of strange at the beginning because these particular students don`t speak English,and it`s hard for you to be clear and not to used your great and long vocabulary, but you`re making these girls change their point of view about English, you will see that after your classes they would like and enjoy "English" i know you`re a great teacher and you`ll reach each objective of the class. Nice.....

    ReplyDelete