Sunday, September 5, 2010

Journal I, Second period


Every day is a nice chance to learn all the new things that life bring to us through different experiences.

This was my first week at Intermediate English I, and I consider that I began my new challenge for this period. I like my new group because I was with them last semester; however this group presented me the greatest challenge for me during my practicum. I started to think about the strategies I will use in order to make all the students to speak because they do not like to speak and this makes more difficult my class.
There are many things that went well during my first class. The warm up activity for example was very appropriate for the topic students were developing during the previous classes.
Another thing that went well too was the classroom management because I asked the students to work in pairs, in groups, and I also asked them to develop a face to face reading. As there is not a perfect teacher, neither a perfect lesson plan, my first class was not perfect and I had to face some situations that made my first class not so good. Something that was hard for me was the grammar part. I received some comments about this part not because I couldn’t explain, but because according to my tutor teacher we have to look for a way in which students speak more than the teacher in grammar explanation. Of course that this is not an easy task, but I will try. I know that my second class will be better than this class, but I am happy to know that I got a new experience today.

3 comments:

  1. Grammar is really a delicate part of teaching and learning English as we all know. I think may be you can prepare the explanation, but the students are not all of them interested because it results difficult or boring. I think it is not easy to teach this part of the lesson and your assigned group is very special. Keep on working hard lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, as i can see you had a very nice experience this time. I have heard many things about this group of students, and I think that you will be improving your work day by day with them. This first experience you had sounds nice. I admire the way you worked and the way you said you acted with your students. I would like to have the pacience you have with people.

    Congratulations my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is really hard to teach when students don`t want not only to participate, but also to speak in the classroom. I know you have to look the best strategies and techniques to make students work in the class and of course to speak more in English. This is a big challenge because it is not that they can speak and they don`t like to participate, it is that they are able to pass to the next level. You have to work very hard my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete