Thursday, September 30, 2010

V Journal My last class


“A teacher's purpose is not to create students in his own image, but to develop students who can create their own image.”


What can I say about my last experience???
Well, I am grateful because things went well during my last experience in the level of Intermediate English I. things went well since the very beginning of the class. The warm up activity was a drill in which students had to use the future tense, the structure they were studying.

Something that I consider interesting during my last class was the presentation and the grammar part. The presentation was about a conversation students had to repeat and perform. What I did in order to make something different was the running dictation. Students had to run and read the conversation I had posted on the wall, and then dictate the sentences to the person that had taken the role of secretary. After 5 minutes, the students had the chance to read the whole conversation that I had posted on the board for them to read. The funniest part of this was that when the students saw the conversation on the board they said “It was the same conversation!!!! Teacher you are bad .After this they repeated the conversation and two pairs went to the front and acted it out. I liked the way in which the students involved in the activity. All of the students where participating, thank God. The other activity that I consider went well too was the grammar part. I divided the grammar part into rules or uses and examples. I gave the students the uses of the WILL and the examples that I had written on slips on paper. I told them that we were going to study this part and they explained when we use it and provided the examples. This was very interesting because it was not me that explained the grammar alone, but together with the students. They also provided their own examples. As I said before, things went well during my last class. And I feel satisfied with the results in this group.

I learned many things from this group. They taught me that a teacher can grow together with the students. Something that I really like is that I feel comfortable with this group, they respect me, and they see me as someone that can help them. They ask me things and treat me as a real teacher. That is something that makes me feel very well.

I am sure that there are many things that I would do again and again with other groups, but there are things that I surely wouldn’t do again.  
I thank God for giving me the opportunity to learn new things from people every day.


4 comments:

  1. Elizabeth,

    What a nice reflection!! I really enjoy reading about your experience in this group. I liked the way you explained the grammar face this time.

    Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the running dictation activity is really nice and fun. However, it doesn't work with all groups...I tried it once with hyperactive (actually spoiled) kids, but they didn't follow any rule and made a disaster...I had to learn the hard way...hehe... However, it's nice to know it worked wwell for you. I agree with teacher Cristian...the grammar explanation seems nice :) Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi teacher Eliza!!
    I like the way you explained grammar because as you said, the students were very involved in this stage and they were even giving examples. I will put it into practice in the next period!!!

    I am in agreement with you when you say that you have learned from this group. I think that there is always something we learn from every single group. In my case, I have learned a lot from the students (basic, intermediate, and advanced). They teach us many things that help us grow as teachers!!

    Great job teacher Elizabeth!
    Good luck in your next experience!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job, Liz. I always liked the way you worked with your students. No matter the group of students you had. Nice job!!!

    ReplyDelete